[mythtv-users] New installation, choppy video (not DMA) help request

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon May 15 15:18:35 EDT 2006

On 5/15/06, Dan <danspam at envy.themanium.net> wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 01:41:33PM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> >
> > check your xorg log in /var/log and it will tell you what driver its
> > using. You can also check the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to see what
> > driver you asking it to use.
> >
> > xvinfo should work via ssh to tell you the Xv status, you may have to
> > pass a arguement for the display to check, which would most likely be
> > ":0.0"
> >

> I appear to be using "radeon" driver.  The state of ATI drivers for linux
> seems to be quite fragmented.  Do the fglrx drivers support tv-out?  Would
> using the "wrong" driver possibly account for the behavior I'm seeing?

from what I understand, the opensource radeon drivers are not equiped
to properly handle HDTV streams in Xv. The ATI fglrx drivers however
are. I don't know if they support TV out on your card, but they do on
my laptop's Xpress 200M.

> I am not really clear on how to change drivers, but I will give it a try

the support documentation for the fglrx drivers, as well as a google
search should be all you need to get going.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!