[mythtv-users] coax vs. composite

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 15 14:56:43 EDT 2006

On May 15, 2006, at 12:49 PM, Greg Woods wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 12:38 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> When you say "coax" I assume you are referring to an RF signal with a
>> TV signal modulated onto it. I mention this because "composite" video
>> is normally carried on a co-axial cable.
>
> Could you clarify this a bit? I always thought that "composite" video
> was carried on a cable with RCA plugs at both ends, i.e. the same type
> of cable that non-digital audio typically travels on. As far as I
> know,
> this is NOT the same thing as coax. Which one of us is confused?

RCA connectors are *supposed* to be (and were at one time) for coax
cables. Composite video is normally carried on a coax cable using BNC
connectors, but the consumer world being what it is, the 75 cents for
a BNC is considered too expensive.

Composite video *should* be carried on a 75-ohm coax cable, but in
the consumer world they put it on whatever the Chinese have a good
deal on that week.