[mythtv-users] New installation, choppy video (not DMA) help request

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon May 15 12:06:16 EDT 2006

On 5/15/06, Steve Daniels <steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com> wrote:
> [...]

buuuullllshhhh....

I've got two Athlon64 3200+ and they both have MORE than enough CPU to
handle 1080i + deinterlacing. I even have one on the SAME motherboard
that I was using as a dedicated front/backend for a while (now its
just a dedicated backend).

I was getting at most 85% total CPU usage when playing back 1080i
content with no backend processes running (commflagging, transcoding,
recordings, etc). I have a FX5200 attached, but that should make much
of a difference. You should be seeing at most 10% X usage (unless the
ATI drivers really suck that much....) you are using the fglrx drivers
and Xv is properly working right?
I have a Turon64 ML28 (iirc) laptop, which can handle 1080i playback
with its builtin X200M video card (which is a P.O.S. but the rest of
the laptop is awesome).

> > MSI K8N Neo2 platinum MB

good motherboard for a BE/FE system, I'm using mine for my dedicated
backend now, the 5PCI slots come in really handy =)

> > AMD Athlon64 3200+
> > 1G RAM

potentially overkill?

> > 40G IDE drive (DMA enabled and verified)
> > ATI Radeon X850PE

I don't know where this falls in the Radeon range, hopefully it is
enough to handle the Xv needed to properly display 1080i. There are a
few folks that use ATI cards for HD playback that will be of more help
here. In the end, if all else fails. Spend the $30 on an FX5200...

> > Fusion HDTV3-(gold, I think, 'dmesg | grep -i' dvb below:)
> >
> > currently using VGA output (plans for TV-out eventually)

what resolution? what deinterlace method? Do you have Extra audio
buffering enabled?

> > installed via MythDora onto a fresh system.
> >
> > I am sure that there are other relevant details to provide, but I do not
> > yet know what they are.  I checked the archives for a "how to ask for
> > help"
> > posting, but didn't find it.  My apologies if there is standard info
> > that I have not provided above.
> >
> > Any suggestions on what to check or where to look next would be most
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks-
>
> I think it comes down to either getting a faster processor, or a nvidia
> graphics card.

processor is fine, hopefully an ATI knowledgable person will respond
as to the video card...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!