[mythtv-users] U.S. SCHED ALERT: Pres. at 8pm, don't rely on zap2it?

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Mon May 15 11:09:47 EDT 2006

> > > It already adjusted mine. I have Prison Break recoring which usually goes
> > > from 8 to 9 but for tomorrow it's 8:20! Gotta love MythTV! My old DishPVR
> > > would have recorder 40 minutes of the show and 20 of the other thing.

It's actually pretty amusing. Fox has been showing the presidential
address on the schedule they show in advertisements for Mondays
program schedule, so it makes sense that the schedule made it to
zap2it. I wish presidential addresses would do this more often, I hate
when they have a surprise interruption. At least if it's scheduled it
won't ruin recordings (and for those that want to watch the
presidential address, they can even schedule it as a show!)

> > Ah -- that must be because you have the whole series set to record. So, Myth
> > found that the show's old channel/starting time event was deleted, but
> > there's a new channel/starting time event, so it got start.
> >
> > So, if you have the whole series flagged to be recorded -- you're ok, but if
> > you scheduled only a single show to be recorded, it would likely get
> > dropped.
>
> I fear that's not true, unfortunately.
> As of this morning, zap2it still seems to think that ABC, CBS, and PBS
> won't be covering the Presidential address (although it shows Fox and NBC
> going along with the White House). I could *almost* imagine CBS favoring
> season finales over a President whose poll numbers are so bad, but PBS
> skipping a live Presidential address? Oprah Winfrey allowing ABC to show
> taped highlights of one of her events instead of POTUS live? Unbelievable.

For some channels it works fine, but I guess not all channels are as
quick to update their schedules. Definitely a step in the right
direction, but we'll all still need to double-check our schedules to
make sure that the shows record at the right time. I believe my
single-tuner mythbox will have no problem catching prisonbreak and 24,
since they are on the schedule correctly. I need to convince the TiVo
to catch Greys Anatomy, however, since it's not normally on Monday
night and will probably be offset by 20 minutes.

> I think this is a good time to set the "record after" options for any
> Monday night shows you have on PBS and major US networks just in case
> zap2it's data isn't updated at all, or isn't updated soon enough for
> your mythfilldatabase runs to save your schedules.

Good call