[mythtv-users] Firewire in Myth

Wylie Swanson wylie.swanson at gmail.com
Sun May 14 03:51:47 EDT 2006

> I was also wondering what steps is everyone using to troubleshoot. For
> example if test-mpeg won't record anything I know you should make sure your
> modules are loaded but what else should I check? Maybe if we can come up
> with a list here of things to check I'll volunteer to put it on the wiki to
> give a list of things to troubleshoot. Thanks for the snv stuff Matt I'll
> give it a shot tonight.
>
> Allan

I have been using firewire without problems (for the most part) for
about six months.  Sometimes when I can't get firewire to work, I have
to plug a device into the second firewire port (like a video camera)
and turn it on and off.  Only then does the system seem to see the
device via plugreport.  Recently, Cox upgraded my SA3250's (and they
were counting backwards in hexadecimal; this is how I know this), and
now I am unable to get firewire working on one box -- the other box
channel change is completely random (totally hosed)... and the other
box is not visible via plugreport at all anymore....  I have dropped
back to using my ATSC card for some of the primary channels HDTV (NBC,
ABC, CBS, etc) via ATSC QAM256.