[mythtv-users] Scheduling problems (SQL errors) on newMythTV installation ...

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu May 11 22:02:27 EDT 2006

On 11/05/06, Jeff Coffler <jeff-list-mythusers at taltos.com> wrote:
> Mike followed up with me privately.  He was wicked useful.
>
> The .tar file from the MythTV WWW site is old (it's not 0.19-fixes).
>
> I asked:
>
> >> Is there some other place I should download from?  Or just use SVN?
>
> And Mike said:
>
> >It's only available through SVN.  See "If you'd like to get the stable
> >0.19 branch, do this instead:" part of http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/

Mike,

Is there a reason that the download link on the mythtv.org site is not
a 0.19-fixes tarball? I get the impression that the -fixes branch is
quite stable (i.e. not the latest SVN) and it's also what Axel uses to
generate his RPMs).

If an average user (me for example) was intending to download the
source tarball directly from the official site and not through
Subversion or via a package manager, wouldn't a recent -fixes be more
useful than the original release?

If bugs have been identified and fixed in the original release, and
the -fixes branch is equally (or more) stable, I would at least prefer
to be able to directly download the current stable -fixes rather than
the original release without having to resort to SVN. Why would a user
downloading the source outside of SVN _not_ want the most stable
release?

Last year Jarod graciously created the 0.18.1 release quite soon after
the initial release, which was ~9months before the 0.19 release. Would
a tarball of the -fixes branch help to bridge the gap, or were there
no further fixes deemed necessary for the 0.18.x branch? (I readily
understand that constantly backporting code takes away valuable time
that could be spent on the current release).

I'd really value your (and anyone else's) thoughts on this (sorry for
the rambling, and parentheses...),

Cheers,
Nick