[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV TV's

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu May 11 15:21:37 EDT 2006

On 5/11/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/11/2006 03:03 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> >> I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. What EDID reports is different
> >> than what the manual says. But we have to remember that the manual is
> >> speaking to the average consumer, i.e. a Windows user who will only know
> >> how to go into the Display control panel and set the resolution, so the
> >> manual might just be telling this person to set the resolution to
> >> 1024x768. All I know is, a 1280x768 resolution does work in X, and it
> >> causes the TV to display the image differently than if X is using
> >> 1024x768.
> >>

> > For fixed pixel displays the EDID information is rarely the 720p/1080p
> > values, usually its the native resolution, though some manufacturers
> > aren't even that nice and give you odd values that then end up being
> > scaled. This doesn't mean the monitor can't take in a signal of its
> > native value it just means the information for that was not programmed
> > into the EDID report.
> >

> My TV (a DLP) reports a bunch of resolutions in the EDID, but does not
> specify the native resolution (1920x1080) as even an acceptable input
> (probably because the manufacturer didn't think normal Windows users
> could make it work properly).
>
> > Don't necesarily think of EDID as the holy grail of what your monitor
> > will accept. Some TV's have had firmware upgrades that have changed
> > the EDID values because they were shipped from the factory wrong, or
> > new values were added, etc.
>
> I definitely agree with this.  Unfortunately, it's set up to make the TV
> work the way the manufacturer expects people to use it--it doesn't
> (necessarily?/usually?/ever?) enumerate all possible configurations.

Right, my tv shows a 1920x540p modeline, but I can't get my FX5200 or
a Radeon I tried to work with such a modeline(don't know why the
Radeon didn't work, but I didn't try to hard either...). Once 8756
came out my FX5200 works fine with a 1080i modeline... It also works
with a 480p modeline that isn't in the EDID =) the worst part is that
its a 1080i native tv, which means until recently I couldn't feed it a
1080i signal =(

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!