[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV TV's

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu May 11 15:03:17 EDT 2006

On 5/11/06, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 13:36 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
> > Is EDID reporting a 1280x768 native resolution or just that 1280x768 is
> > an acceptable input resolution.
>
> I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. What EDID reports is different
> than what the manual says. But we have to remember that the manual is
> speaking to the average consumer, i.e. a Windows user who will only know
> how to go into the Display control panel and set the resolution, so the
> manual might just be telling this person to set the resolution to
> 1024x768. All I know is, a 1280x768 resolution does work in X, and it
> causes the TV to display the image differently than if X is using
> 1024x768.

For fixed pixel displays the EDID information is rarely the 720p/1080p
values, usually its the native resolution, though some manufacturers
aren't even that nice and give you odd values that then end up being
scaled. This doesn't mean the monitor can't take in a signal of its
native value it just means the information for that was not programmed
into the EDID report.

Don't necesarily think of EDID as the holy grail of what your monitor
will accept. Some TV's have had firmware upgrades that have changed
the EDID values because they were shipped from the factory wrong, or
new values were added, etc.

> > No.  That's only possible if you use Xrandr to change your video mode
> > when you start playing the video, but it requires you to have a working
> > 1080i video mode, first.
>
> That's what I was afraid of, because I am now back to square one. I have
> no idea how to find or generate such a thing. The only suggestions I've
> seen for this are to find someone who has the same TV as I do (I've so
> far failed in this attempt, nobody else here seems to have a Pioneer) or
> require running Windows (which I don't want to go out and pay $200 for
> just for this). So am I completely hosed? Or is there SOME way I can try
> to find a 1920x1080 modeline that works for this TV?

running windows won't necesarily help you. If your TV doesn't show a
1080i EDID modeline then try one of the standard ATSC 1080 modelines,
or one of the 1920x540p modelines. Note though that until Nvidia 8756
interlaced modelines where "broken", I was until 8756 unable to output
a 1080i modeline that my TV would accept.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!