[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV TV's

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu May 11 14:43:43 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 13:36 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Is EDID reporting a 1280x768 native resolution or just that 1280x768 is
> an acceptable input resolution.

I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. What EDID reports is different
than what the manual says. But we have to remember that the manual is
speaking to the average consumer, i.e. a Windows user who will only know
how to go into the Display control panel and set the resolution, so the
manual might just be telling this person to set the resolution to
1024x768. All I know is, a 1280x768 resolution does work in X, and it
causes the TV to display the image differently than if X is using
1024x768.

> TVOutFormat is /only/ used with TV outputs (i.e.
> S-Video/Composite/Component).  If you use VGA/DVI/..., it's ignored.

Thank you. That answers a big question for me.

> No.  That's only possible if you use Xrandr to change your video mode
> when you start playing the video, but it requires you to have a working
> 1080i video mode, first.

That's what I was afraid of, because I am now back to square one. I have
no idea how to find or generate such a thing. The only suggestions I've
seen for this are to find someone who has the same TV as I do (I've so
far failed in this attempt, nobody else here seems to have a Pioneer) or
require running Windows (which I don't want to go out and pay $200 for
just for this). So am I completely hosed? Or is there SOME way I can try
to find a 1920x1080 modeline that works for this TV?

--Greg