[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV TV's

Dylan R. Semler dsemler at macalester.edu
Thu May 11 01:33:18 EDT 2006

>BTW, last summer I was at the Sony building in Tokyo where they were
>showing a trio of 1920x1080 Qualia displays. Wow, full HD is pretty
>impressive.

It's always puzzled me why these huge HDTVs cost so much more than
smaller ones.  The screen on my laptop is 1920x1200 and must have been
only a few hundred dollars (US) to make.  Since bigger screens have the
same pixel count (or even fewer pixels for HDTVs), but larger area, each
pixel must be physically larger.  One would think that manufacturing and
assembling larger pixels would be cheaper than smaller ones, however
pricing trends seem to indicate otherwise.

Now I understand that the huge HDTVs are a different technology (plasma)
than lcd monitors, but prices always go up even within the same
technology as you increase the screen size.

Dylan