[mythtv-users] Mythmusic 0.19 mp3 files located on backend or frontend?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed May 10 16:21:54 EDT 2006

On 5/10/06, Will Berriss <will at berriss.plus.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Mythtv 0.19 installed on my server (backend) and mythfronend 0.19
> installed on my sitting room PC.
> When I use the frontend to setup the Music directory, it can only see files on
> the frontend PC.
> I set the Directory to hold music to be /MUSIC, this is on the frontend PC only.
>
> This is odd and means I have to make copies of the mp3 files from backend (where
> I want them) to the
> frontend so I can see them and play them with mymusic.
> Is this supposed to be how it works?
> (I AM NOT USING NFS by the way.)

Why not? it would solve your problem.

> I copied just one album, Queen, to the frontend /MUSIC directory and so I see a
> list of
> just Queen songs (of course.) BUT, I have many more albums on my server, but they
> are on
> the server only.
> So, when I use Mythweb from another PC (Mythweb run on backednd myth server) and
> choose
> mythmusic from the mythweb web page, all it tells me about are the
> Queen mp3 files, as that is all that is in the list of files. :(
> This is daft because:
> (a) my frontend PC is usually switched off when I am elsewhere using mythweb, so
> I cannot play the
> Queen files on that machine anyway (so why list those ones!?)
> (b) mythweb runs on the server and so can see only the files on the server
> (backend mythbox)
> anyway, yet the list pertains to the frontend.
>
> Of course, I also have queen on the backend, under /mus, and somehow Mythweb
> still finds them,
> despite them living under /MUSIC on the frontend (recall it was the frontend that
> was generated the list
> when I do a scan for music.)
>
> I think something is wrong. Can anyone help?
>
> I am running Ubuntu Breezy 5.0, kernel 2.6.12-10 and I got my Mythtv 0.19 from
> debthehunter.ws
> at the end of April 2006.
>
> N.B. I do not have mythtv package installed on frontend, just mythfrontend and
> mythmusic
> etc are installed on front end.  Backend has ALL mythtv packages installed.
>
> N.B. I used to have a combined frontend and backend but I now have separate
> client and
> server. (And I did dump the old mythconverg database and reuse that on my backend
> because
> the channels scan did not work for me in 0.19 like it did in 0.18.  My old combined
> system was 0.19 but it was upgraded to 0.19 from 0.18, so always worked.)
>
> Any help with this Mythmusic file location would be much appreciated.
> (N.B.  The same problem occurs with my Images in MythImage and for my (xvid)
> videos/movies.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help and I should say that I think Mythtv is great!!! :-)

just mount your NFS shared music folder from your backend machine to
your frontend(s) in the same location (ie if on the backend its /mus
then on the frontend its /mus).

MythWeb uses the mythconverg database location entry for the track
which is why it finds it.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!