[mythtv-users] Obscure question, Can I stream remote control commands over the network?

Kevin Vee kkvenkit at gmail.com
Wed May 10 15:54:13 EDT 2006

> On 5/10/06, Dom H <speedsix.lists at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I have moved my mythbackend to a seperate machine which obviously now
> houses
> > my tv card. Problem is my remote reciever connects directly to the card.
> > Instead of buying another reciever for the frontend(can you buy
> recievers
> > seperately? How would you learn the keys without a remote?) Can I stream
> the
> > commands to LIRC on the frontend over the network?
> >
> > My card is a new Hauppauge Nova-T with the grey/silver remote, I believe
> it
> > creates something in the /dev/ dir for the keypresses.

Very possible as I've done it myself.

lirc supports daisy-chaining of remote commands. Go to
http://www.lirc.org/html/configure.html and search for "daisy-chain". On the
machine receiving the networked lircd commands I run, "lircd
--connect=machinename 8765"  (where 8765 is the tcp port).

Cheers
Kevin