[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV TV's

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Wed May 10 15:07:46 EDT 2006

> You may be looking at the wrong store or wrong brands.
>
>Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi, Panasonic, etc. are "wrong brands"?

If they sell EDTV under the guise of HDTV, then yes, they are
the wrong brands

>> Also be aware, many Plasma and LCD TV's are NOT HDTV.  They often
>> call them EDTV (or Enhanced Definition TV) and are not HDTV.  Consumers
>> often think because they have a plasma that they also have HDTV.
>
>They have a way of displaying HDTV, just not all the pixels.

Yeah, it's called downsampling, or downconversion, or whatever.  And it sucks
for anyone who cares about picture quality.  In other words, they take a HDTV
picture and turn it into something else.

>> Don't forget about DLP's in your search. They are always (I think) true HDTV
>> and have great picture quality.
>
>Not all DLP TVs are native 1920x1080...  not even close.

DLP's are native 1920x1080 OR 1280x720., not just close, but exactly.  Both are HDTV.