[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV TV's

Mike Frisch mfrisch at isurfer.ca
Wed May 10 15:04:41 EDT 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 12:59:51PM -0600, James C. Dastrup wrote:
> You may be looking at the wrong store or wrong brands.

Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi, Panasonic, etc. are "wrong brands"?

> True HDTV displays are either 1280x720 or 1920x1080 pixels.

In a perfect world, yes.  In reality, whats typically at your local
electronics store?  Not even close.

> Also, 1024x768 is a 4:3 aspect, and not 16:9.  If you really want a
> 4:3 aspect TV, your HDTV viewing will be limited and/or annoying.

1024x768 is the a 16:9 resolution on plasma displays.  The pixels on
these displays are not square (they're wider than tall), which makes up
for the 'discrepancy'?

> Also be aware, many Plasma and LCD TV's are NOT HDTV.  They often
> call them EDTV (or Enhanced Definition TV) and are not HDTV.  Consumers
> often think because they have a plasma that they also have HDTV.

They have a way of displaying HDTV, just not all the pixels.

I will admit that it's very confusing for the consumer.

> Don't forget about DLP's in your search. They are always (I think) true HDTV
> and have great picture quality.

Not all DLP TVs are native 1920x1080...  not even close.