[mythtv-users] Successful configurations (was: A8N-VM CSM success

glen martin lists at locutory.org
Wed May 10 11:25:02 EDT 2006

Brian Meehan wrote:
> Anyone for posting their xorg.conf for the nvidia 6150 DVI output?
> Just as a reference, would be most appreciated.
I would, if I used DVI. Maybe I will anyway.

More generally than posting such a file here, an archive containing this
sort of thing would be helpful in making such reference easier to find,
as well as encourage inclusion of a breadth of information. Something
like the goldfish archive (though hopefully with higher participation),
but with more of the setup recorded (eg. software versions, more
hardware details, drivers and versions, X config, that sort of thing) to
provide a better baseline for those trying to configure their systems.
There's nothing like a blank field to get someone to write something
down. Or cut and paste, preferably.

Anything like that already exist?

Otherwise some of the reports I've seen here and on goldfish are a
little like Fermat's Last Theorem. This French mathematician wrote in
the margin of a book "I've discovered this wonderful proof of ___, but
the margin is too small to write it", leaving generations of later
mathematicians to develop whole new branches of study to try to
rediscover what he had found. On this list we see "I've made it work",
but the weeks or months later that some new victim tries to get it to
work he finds that most details are missing, and the original author may
not be easy to find, or may not remember what he did.

Not to be down on a list like this, I think the list and the people who
participate are incredibly helpful. I've learned a lot by reading it.

The HOWTOs are also very useful. Some are incredibly detailed. But they
can be dated (some are very dated), and if the setup there doesn't match
one's hardware closely they aren't always easy to adapt (hence the
questions on this list).

So something less narrative than a HowTo, but with lots of working
configurations for different hardware, and enough detail that folks can
just use them.

Just a thought.

glen