[mythtv-users] Best Hardware

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed May 10 11:14:13 EDT 2006

On May 10, 2006, at 6:59 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> On 5/9/06, MythBox <mythtv at glassdragon.org> wrote:
>> SATA DVDRW DL
>

> Don't bother, get a regular ATA and a round ATA cable. I bought the
> Plextor SATA drive and it has forced me to stick with 2.6.13 because
> newer kernel SATA drivers are not compatible with the drive
> apparently. More hassle than its worth, espcially when excellent ATA
> drives can be had for <$50.

I have been trying to figure out what, if any, advantage a SATA
optical drive might offer. One might argue that a hard drive would
benefit from the supposed higher speed (though none do as of yet) but
that's obviously not a factor with a DVD drive.

So what would be the advantage, except in the rare case where you had
an open SATA port but not a parallel IDE opening??