[mythtv-users] Cheap Possible Frontend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue May 9 22:54:58 EDT 2006

On May 9, 2006, at 8:50 PM, Shawn wrote:

>>> . Hmmm...
>>>
>>> That's a good data point.
>>>
>>> I have an old Dell PIII 500 Mhz. laptop. Guess I'll just have to try
>>> that and see how it does.
>>>
>>> I am assuming no "help" from the graphics subsystem.
>>>

>> I also used to watch divx movies on a PII 300mhz a few years ago
>> under
>> windows.  I haven't tried anything on it recently in Linux, but an
>> 866
>> should have enough horsepower.
>>
>> -Mike
>>

> I run a PIII 800mhz with 512mb of ram.  I use a PVR-150 and the
> video is
> fine.  I believe that's about the lowest anyone should go.

So that would be MPEG-2 video. I've seen slower machines play DVDs
pretty well, and seen some really slow old Dell laptops with hardware
MPEG decoders that did pretty well at it.

But I tend to agree with you that I certainly wouldn't purchase
anything much slower than you mention, and remember a Myth system has
to do other things besides playing back MPEG. I see that HogPaws
suggests a PIII 733 as a minimum for using a PVR-350, presumably
using its output, and they suggest a PIII 1.2Ghz. for a PVR-150.