[mythtv-users] Frontend Feature Proposal: MythToGo

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 9 22:52:36 EDT 2006

On 05/08/2006 02:04 PM, matt mead wrote:

>I'm curious if anyone besides me would find this useful:
>
>Support in frontend for caching db information and recordings in ~/.mythtv such
>that you can select a subset of recordings and the frontend will store the
>recorded data and enough information from the mythconverg db that they can be
>played without contacting the backend.
>
>This would allow you to select a set of shows you might want to take on the
>road with you using your laptop, perform a synchronization, and then
>browse/playback those shows while away from your backend server.

I thought about doing something like this when I did a contract where I
had to travel every week for 6 months, but I found that my temporary
solution (playback with xine) worked extremely well--well enough that I
decided it wasn't worth the effort to create MythTraveler (my name),
a.k.a. MythOffline (name courtesy of Axel Thimm).  I can even skip
nearly any commercial break in 3 keystrokes (from a minimum of 2 to a
max of 5).  I copy the files from links made by mythrename.pl sorted by
title/originalairdate, so I know what order to play them.  I don't take
the program data with me, but I've never really needed it when I
couldn't just connect to my MythWeb and look it up online.

That's not to say that I wouldn't use the functionality if someone else
did it (and did it well).  :)

Mike

-----

Historical Note: