[mythtv-users] AC3 digital audio output from live tv

James D jamesdtrance at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 17:03:06 EDT 2006

Ok, so how do you get audio when watching ATSC live tv?
  my understanding is all ATSC audio is AC3 encoded, so I've checked to pass AC3 through and I have my myth box connected to my home theather receiver via SPDIF. when I play videos that have AC3 audio in MythVideo (with mplayer -ao alsa:device=spdif) it works fine. This would make me think it's not capturing the audio, but I'm not so sure as when I first set it up I had left the audio device as /dev/dsp. I plugged headphones in to analog line out for shits and grins while in live tv and i heard a bunch of static noise which I'd guess is the encoded AC3 trying to be played back as normal audio, so I think if I can just get the data to go to my SPDIF out instead it'd work, but I tried changing the audio device to ALSA:spdif and got silence from my home theater as well as the line out.

  any help would be appreciated
  btw, my tuner is DViCo Fusion HDTV Lite. it has a connector to the motherboard CD-audio-in, but my understanding is this is only for analog audio.

  - James