[mythtv-users] time for a new graphics card

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue May 9 10:54:37 EDT 2006

On 5/9/06, Andrew Hutchinson <ahutchinson.mythtv at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Lots of people talk about this 5200's on the list, and I can understand why
> because they seem to have all the features that are needed for a MythTV and
> they are cheap.
>
>  However, in my situation I want to dual boot the box so that I can load
> Windows to play games at times.  Because I want to play games, I want a
> reasonable graphics card.  Would there be any disadvantage in using
> something like a 6600GT compared with the 5200?

Only for XvMC currently, though Daniel K. is working on some new XvMC
code that should allow the 6xxx series to perform, hopefully, at the
same level as the 5200 in XvMC.

There was also some issue with the 6200 (iirc) and the nvidia drivers
OpenGL Vsync implementation from what I understand. Though I believe
the new driver may have fixed this?

In the end, if your not using XvMC, which since your gaming I assume
your CPU is more than enough to handle HD, the 6600GT should be fine
for MythTV usage.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!