[mythtv-users] plugin idea: MythNielsen

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue May 9 10:45:12 EDT 2006

> On May 9, 2006, at 8:12 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > On 5/9/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > And the voters let them, so don't go on some anti-corporate rant. The
> > government here fails only when its citizens let it. Sadly, for the
> > last 100years the citizens of the u.S. have become complacent in their
> > control of the government, allowing the government to dictate the
> > rights of the citizens instead of citizens dictating the rights of the
> > government. Those in power and wealth, being slightly more educated
> > than 50% of the voters use this to their advantage.
>
> No time or space to answer all of your post, nor do I want to impose
> such on this list. Suffice it to say that you have some good points,
> but that I do not agree with all of them..
>
> "Majority Rule" is not always the best way. Hitler was popularly
> elected, and what happens when the majority votes to kill the minority ?

I completely agree, majority rule is why I hate the fact that I live
in a what has become a Democracy. I disagree with >50% of the voting
public on many issues, but I've got to live with the laws they allow
to pass and the politicians they elect.

> Complacency is a major problem, and voters often get what they
> deserve. The real problem is that elections are not free, or
> universal, or even honest in most cases.

Thats why the constitution as originally drafted made no allowence for
government officials to get paid, they knew what would happen if those
in office were paid for their work. They were right. If those in
office truely believed that they do it out of love of country they
would do it without getting paid.

> To paraphrase Heinlein:
>
> "In the old days kings ruled by Divine Right, and it was the job of
> those truly in power to be sure that the Diety annointed the
> "correct" individual.
>
> These days the system is "The Will of the People", but the problem
> changes only superficially."

The problem is people think they need to be Will'ed over, the concept
that they can live life without governance escapes them in much the
same way the concept that they can live life without religion does.

> >> Such is life in the "Land of the Fee".
> >
> > hehe, did you mean to write it this way? =D
>
> Of Course, inserting an "r" in the last word would render the
> statement false :-)

Except that it's in quotes, for which inserting the 'r' would only
mean your quoting a saying, the humor would still be there, albeit for
a different reason. Either way, I agree =D

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!