[mythtv-users] A8N-VM CSM success

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Mon May 8 23:42:41 EDT 2006

glen martin wrote:
> Paul Bender wrote:
>
>>I have a question about your booting without irqpoll. For me the problem
>>is with IRQ 11 which is the video driver. The problem appears to be
>>related to the NVIDIA's binary driver. Are you using NVIDIA's binary
>>driver?
>
> yes, vanilla nvidia 8756 driver (that is, not including patches the
> gentoo 8756 package includes). All this under gentoo with a 2.6.15 +
> gentoo patches kernel.
>
>> Are you using AGP support from the kernel or from the NVIDIA's
>>binary driver?
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean. /dev/agpgart and drm are enabled in the
> kernel ('Y'. not 'M').

In that case, you are using the kernel's AGP rather than NVIDIA's AGP,
which is what I am doing. However, I have agpgart compiled as a module.
I wonder whether or not that could be causing the problem.

> What is the symptom of the problem you solve with irqpoll? and (forgive
> me, but) does that problem exist with this 1001 BIOS, or is this perhaps
> a holdover of a solution to a problem with a previous BIOS? Just
> checking ...

I get a kernel oops in /var/log/messages related to IRQ 11. After that,
X is very slow to start and mythfrontend never starts (I start
mythfrontend from inside xinit).

For the previous BIOS I patched the kernel to allows it to boot with
ACPI enabled even though there were problems with the BIOS. However,
once I upgraded to the 1001 BIOS, I removed the patch. Therefore, I do
not think that it is holdover.