[mythtv-users] MSI Motherboard - anyone used it or opinions pls?

Nedim Cholich nedim.cholich at gmail.com
Mon May 8 22:56:11 EDT 2006

I have this board and have finally configured it to work properly as a
frontend. I'm using DVI out to LCD HDTV and it works great. Using Nvidia's
latest drivers, XvMC sort of "works". Playing HD recordings gives me a
noticeable lag every couple of seconds. Without XvMC though it plays HD fine
with 80% CPU utilization (Venice 3200+). I haven't played with different
deinterlace algorithms but kernel seems to yield best picture on SD
recordings (from cable over PVR500). I'll try again when next version of
drivers come out.

I had to compile and use Nvidia's nvnet network driver since forcedeth just
stopped working one day (I must have messed up something because it worked
fine for weeks).

After I got my SPDIF bracket from MSI (my board didn't come with one so I
just called them and they sent me one for $10) I thought that was it, but
after days of tinkering I haven't been able to configure the sound on board
to do what I want. Kept getting distorted and screechy sound from my
receiver. So I put in SBLive that I had from an old computer and that
worked. I still can't get the SPDIF out checkbox on Myth to work.
Configuring ALSA is one of the most humbling (or frustrating) experiences so
far. I must have tried 10 different .asoundrcs I found on the web. Well, now
the sound at least works, but I'm not really sure what I have. All I know is
that it all goes through SPDIF coax out to the receiver. And the sound is
comparable to my old DishNet setup.

If anyone has on-board sound working on this mobo please post the .asoundrc!

I also had to compile lirc to enable my Streamzap remote, but that was
painless. Hopefully Axel will include it in the next lirc release on atrpms.

Overall this board is solid. CPU stays cool with the fan I have. I only have
one other intake 80mm fan (very quiet ~21dB). When there are no other sounds
in the room I can hear the barely noticeable hum, but since the heat is not
an issue I have the whole case in a cabinet to further isolate it.

If you are looking for a solid frontend board, this is it. I can help with
setting up FC5 if anyone is interested.