[mythtv-users] A terrifying patent sparks a new idea

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 8 18:28:51 EDT 2006

On May 8, 2006, at 4:12 PM, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:

> Richard Bronosky wrote:
>
>> I've had a crazy week.  (I'll describe this later)  But it has caused
>> me to have a lot of off the wall thoughts.  I am (believe it or not)
>> only posting a select few of them here.
>>
>> This weekend I decided I was in the market for a video camera.  While
>> researching I stumbled on this article: (Specifically the part about
>> "The advert enforcer")
>> http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9011
>>

> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/200187?
> search_string=engelfriet;#200187

It's really nothing different from the UOPs that prevent your fast-
forwarding through the FBI warning etc. I don't know why it is such a
big deal all of a sudden, publicity I guess.

If the program source transmits data that the playback device pays
attention to just about anything like this is possible:

Insert 25-cents to skip this commercial ?? Only show the ice-melt
commercial if it is snowing in your area at the time ?? Only show the
Pampers commercial if your household has young children ?? Show the
Accu-Check spot if you are known to have diabetes ??  Only show the
beer commercial if you are over 21 ?? Only show the Jeep commercial
if you have a valid driver's license ?? Only show the Microsoft
commercial if you are know to have a mental disability ??

Just about anything is possible.