[mythtv-users] libmysqlclient.so

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 8 10:59:07 EDT 2006

On May 8, 2006, at 8:07 AM, James D wrote:

> I'm running gentoo and recently upgraded to the 2.6.15-r1 kernel to
> support my new HDTV tuner card. I also was upgraded to the latest
> patch version of mythtv when rebuilding it to include dvb support.
> During the upgrades portage must have updated mysql through a
> dependency and I ended up with a libmysqlclient.so.14. mythtv-setup
> and mythbackend were giving errors that they could not connect to
> the database which I realized was because they were looking for
> libmysqlclient.so.12.
> I tried symlinking to the 14 version, mythtv-setup is then able to
> connect, but i get weird problems I won't get in to since I don't
> think the symlink is the way to go.
> I'd prefer to build mythtv so that it uses libmysqlclient.so.14, I
> tried bypassing emerge and downloading it and building myself, but
> the result was the same. Is it mandatory to use libmysqlclient.so.12?
> If so, do any gentoo wizards know how I can downgrade to this
> version with emerge?

I am certainly no Gentoo Wizard, but perhaps I can help a bit.

The file /etc/portage/package.mask tells portage what files to
ignore. You can simply put the version that you want to use, preceded
by the ">" sign, and portage will ignore any version greater than the
one you specify. You need to put the full portage name of the
package, for example:

 >dev-db/mysql-4.1.19

Would prevent portage from installing any version later than 4.1.19

An "=" instead of the ">"would prevent the installation of *any*
version other than what you specified. This is useful whan something
depends on a specific version of a dependency.

You need to append the "-r<n>" if the version you want to keep
includes a revision level.

After you have made the entry in package.mask you should be able to
just run:

emerge -avuDN world to get things the way you want them.

As I said I'm no wizard, so I may have some persnickety detail wrong
here, but you get the basic idea.

Feel free to mail me privately if you still have problems.