[mythtv-users] MythTV output to HDMI IN

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 8 07:13:21 EDT 2006

On May 7, 2006, at 11:56 PM, moogie wrote:

> --- Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A nvidia 5200 fx seems to be the favorie for many
>> around here, and it is
>> what I use.  You don't need anything more powerful,
>> and may lose some
>> features.
>

> That's right.  The nVidia FX 5200 is very popular
> here.
>
> Along these lines, I was looking for:
> + PCI interface
> + Actual DVI, VGA, and sVideo ports (Not a DVI-VGA
> adapter)
> + 128 MB RAM minimum
>
> I found a unit for $55.50
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=PCI-FX5200-128MTV
>
> Is this a good price ??

It seemed a bit high to me at first, but I haven't been able to find
anything cheaper, except for AGP interfaces. I guess there's a bit of
a premium for PCI cards these days.

I've had good luck with the Geeks, bought many items with never a
problem.

> If the video is being displayed on the DVI port,
> can I also use the VGA port as a 2nd display?
> Simultaneously.
> If I want to monitor the system logs, I was
> thinking of connectingthe VGA port to an old
> VGA monitor in a cabinet and looking in on it
> once in a while.

My understanding is that the DVI and VGA ports are an either/or
situation. You will likely run into double-termination problems if
you try and use both ports at the same time, and you can't send
different signals to each port.

I think the DVI port is an analog one, hence the inexpensive adapter
that comes with the cards to turn it into another VGA port.

You can use the DVI/VGA and the TV output separately, but I believe
you need to use the nVidia drivers to do that ("nv" driver will only
send the same thing to both).

I may be wrong on this, I've never tried to use DVI/VGA at the same
time and this information comes from posts over the years. For
example I wonder why they would include a DVI/VGA adapter since the
board already has a VGA port and you can't use DVI/VGA at the same
time ? Doesn't make a lot of sense.