[mythtv-users] A8N-VM CSM success

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Sun May 7 18:59:49 EDT 2006

My opinion on the Asus A8N-VM CSM. I just purchased it with an AMD 64 X2
3800+.
I'm running Gentoo 64-bit and Myth 0.19. I was hoping to get an
all-in-one mobo for
a frontend, and I believe this is (or will be) it.

Until the drivers get better, I'm using a PCI Turtle Beach audio card,
and a
PCI Realtek 8169 Gigabit NIC. I already had those, and eventually I'm
sure I'll
be able to ditch those once linux drivers catch up.

But, the on-board video is working *GREAT* for HDTV. I mapped 128 MB to
it in the
BIOS (up from the default 64), and I can watch anything - without XVMC.
The highest
I'll see the CPU go up to is about 50% (combined cores). I'm using the
latest
nvidia drivers - 8756 I think. Perfect picture quality. With XVMC on, I
get the
occasional prebuffering pauses during the OSD, although barely
noticeable while
watching, and a CPU of maybe 25%.