[mythtv-users] HD, XvMC, and realtime

Gary Dezern gary at garyndenise.org
Sun May 7 15:25:30 EDT 2006

Gary Dezern wrote:
> Oh?  Hmm, I'll have to check that out.  I could have sworn I read
> somewhere that I needed >> much as I read, I'm sure I could have mixed something up.

Okay, reverted back to 2.6.15 and nvidia's 7676 (they work fine
together) and the difference is, to say the least, dramatic.

Based on the fact that both CPU's are staying at 1/2 speed (amd
cool/quiet), I think it would be fair to say that kernel 2.6.15 w/
nvidia 7676 drivers has fixed the problem for me.  I'll know for sure
after Monday night.  For some reason, the highest bandwidth show I've
seen is CSI Miami.  (nearly 10Gb/hour at 1080i!)

Also, now getting a new error trying to watch live TV.  Tons of:

[mpegvideo_xvmc @ 0x2aaaabf2cd70]get_buffer() failed (1 1073741824 2 (nil))
2006-05-07 15:22:49.424 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error

I'll try to recompile mythtv and see if that magically goes away.  (It's
not unusual for odd things to happen when changing kernel versions
backwards.)

Unfortunately, none of this gets me any closer to understanding what
"prebuffering pause" means. :(