[mythtv-users] Cheap Possible Frontend

John P. Mitchell john at cepros.com
Sun May 7 12:46:00 EDT 2006

All,

    Looks like a SiS chipset.. Not sure how well the integrated video
does video decode assist..

A little searching and I came across what appears to be the specs for
the system:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?MenuID=62&LanID=9&DetailID=143&DetailName=Specification

Brian Wood wrote:
> I know, we've all seen the posts:
>
> "I (found in a dumpster / was offered for $5) a computer. All I know
> about it is (It says "286" on the front / It says "Altair") and I was
> wondering if it will work With Myth. I plan to connect it to my
> network with (a 300-baud modem / my cell phone), and storage will be
> (punch cards / magnetic drum). I will need to drive 6 High-Definition
> displays simultaneously, each with a separate 1080i signal. Do you
> think it will work ??"
>
> Not to be outdone, I found this:
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BB-U-BUDDIE-SYS&cat=BBK&cpc=JAD
>
> Since I have the RAM and the drives, I'm only risking $120.
>
> What I wonder about is the "64-bit 2D/3D graphics accelerator". Is
> this just a UniChrome variant? I don't know much about those, but I'd
> never heard they were 64-bit. What "acceleration" might it provide ?
>
> I'm wondering if it might do SD only, perhaps with XvMC or a
> Unichrome-only driver ? I'd really like to be able to playback MPEG-4
> streams, sort of a "Rich Man's MediaMVP that can do MPEG-4".
>

> Brian Wood
> beww at beww.org

Regards,
     John P. Mitchell <john at cepros.com>
     Email Sticker: My Boss is a Jewish carpenter
     http://www.GoboLinux.org | User #00010110