[mythtv-users] LiveTV audio missing

Chris gchris at bellsouth.net
Sun May 7 05:26:39 EDT 2006

> Chris,
> The ALSA folks have fessed up to the missing right channel problem and
> claim that it is fixed in their latest release (alsa-lib-1.0.11) but I
> haven't yet found any RPMs for this (April 06) version.

You can confirm the problem and put a temporary fix on it as follows.
Open a terminal window and type:
amixer contents      (Enter)
You should get a long listing of all the available mixer settings.
Scroll through it looking for this group:

numid=26,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source'
   ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw---,values=2,items=8
   ; Item #0 'Mic'
   ; Item #1 'CD'
   ; Item #2 'Video'
   ; Item #3 'Aux'
   ; Item #4 'Line'
   ; Item #5 'Mix'
   ; Item #6 'Mix Mono'
   ; Item #7 'Phone'
   : values=3,0

(numid may differ on your system, MIXER and Capture Source is the key.)
That values parameter says you'll record the left channel from Aux and
the right channel from Mic.  That is the ALSA bug.  You can correct it
until you reboot by typing:
amixer cset iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source' 3,3      (Enter)

Watch TV should now have stereo sound.

Chris