[mythtv-users] Jerky picture esp on panning shots

Mike Parkins mikeparkins at ntlworld.com
Sat May 6 04:48:02 EDT 2006

On Saturday 06 May 2006 08:15, Greg Cope wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I get quite a jerky picture especially on panning shots.  Everything
> is still watchable, but is just not quite right.  Along with a size
> issue (My display is too small so I am missing 10 or so edge pixel)
>
> The Jerky picture is similar to the effect of panning shots on some
> LCD's that can't quite seem to keep up with the picture changing.
>
> WAF is quite low because of this, otherwise she is starting to use
> myth, which must mean its pretty good otherwise!
>
> Hardware is Via SP13000, FC4, atrpms, 2xNovaT DVB's 512Mb ram, Sony
> CRT TV via Svideo.  OpenChrome Drivers.
>
> Is this;
>
> - Myth - something wrong with my config.
>
> - Bit rate issue - the BBC here use high bit rates so recordings tend
> to be very large and therefore probably good quality, with lots of
> data to shift/change
>
> - X issue/Openchrome issue.
>
> - The TV (doubt that as its pretty good otherwise).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Greg

I get similar jerkiness on livetv but one way to improve it is to pause
briefly and start playing again. This seems to allow myth to 'catch it's
breath' with a few frames in hand instead of trying to play as fast as the
data comes in (that is my guess anyway).
mike.

A worse problem for me is the frontend just ignoring keypresses and remote
input after a while... anyone else still getting this?