[mythtv-users] New video card crashes PVR-350 card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat May 6 01:17:17 EDT 2006

On 05/05/2006 06:22 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Eggert Thorlacius writes:
>> Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
>>
>> I tried switching to the nv driver and the conflict is now gone, so
>> presumably it was a bug in the nvidia driver.

Or a misconfiguration...  ;)  I use an NVIDIA card with NVIDIA's
proprietary drivers and record with a PVR-350 without any conflicts.

>> However, I can't get the nv driver to output in widescreen (1280x768),
>> only in 1024x768 mode.  If I try using widescreen, I get a garbled
>> display, and no modeline tweaking seems to help.
>> My current theory is that the driver is ignoring my modelines because
>> it can read EDID data from the TV, but that the EDID data is
>> incorrect.  The nvidia driver had a IgnoreEDID option, but there
>> doesn't seem to be one in the nv driver.  Does this sound plausible or
>> am I barking up the wrong tree here?
> There is no generic "1280x768" resolution, in x.org.  It's either
> 1024x768, or 1280x1024.  Pick one.

Do not use a resolution 1280x1024 on any MythTV system that doesn't have
a 5:4 physical aspect ratio (i.e. don't run it on any screen since
computer monitors are typically either 4:3 or 8:5 or 16:9).  If you do,
you won't be able to use 100 x 100 DPI (which you need so the themes
work properly) since you'll have non-square pixels.  Instead, the proper
number of vertical pixels to use with a 4:3 monitor and 1280 horizontal
pixels is 960 (i.e. 1280x960).

However, since the OP mentioned that the resolution he's attempting to
achieve is a widescreen resolution, chances are he doesn't want 1024x768
or 1280x960 (which are 4:3 resolutions).  For 1280 horizontal pixels,
typical vertical pixels for a widescreen display would be 800 for
computer monitors (i.e. 8:5, a.k.a. 16:10, ratio) or 720 for HDTV's
(i.e. 16:9 ratio).

Mike