[mythtv-users] Google's Summer of Code 2006 idea

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri May 5 18:33:19 EDT 2006

On May 5, 2006, at 4:23 PM, Dean Wilson wrote:

> I know it's getting a little late for ideas, but I thought this might
> be useful...  If anyone can provide feedback (or a pointer as to how
> to get it accepted for google's summer of code) I'd appreciate it!
>
> One of the things I've always hated is when TV shows I watch get
> canceled due to "low numbers."  This is particularly frustrating,
> since I think that the data gathering that Nielson uses is inaccurate
> and antiquated, considering they could easily gather data directly
> from DVR users as to what shows individuals watch.
>
> I would like to set up a method for MythTV to gather and present this
> information.  Due to privacy concerns, the program should probably be
> opt-in (as opposed to opt-out, which could be accidentally overlooked)
>  However,  I think many users would want the networks to know what
> shows they're interested in.
>
> Care would have to be taken that they system would be tamper-proof to
> ensure that the data was valid.  (The temptation to increase the count
> of your favorite shows by a few thousand viewers might be too much for
> some people.  Obviously we'd want accurate numbers, in order for the
> results to have any meaning to companies such as Nielson.)
>
> This information could not only be provided to companies like Nielson,
> it could also provide information as to how many MythTV users are out
> there (and possibly what hardware they're using?)  This information is
> valuable, because it points to how many people have been successful in
> setting up and using MythTV.  This is important because when people
> first start researching MythTV, they find the mythtv-users group,
> which is primarily filled with people writing in with problems.
> Information showing how many people are happy with MythTV could only
> help the cause.  ;)

TiVo is collecting this information, I can only assume they are doing
something with it. I assume that other like Titan, Eye-TV, Ultimate-
TV and cable operator's boxes are doing the same.

My brother actually has a Nielson box in his house, When we went out
to dinner the other night I suggested he tune the box to PBS before
we left :-)

I think I said the other day I'd like to see some information on Myth
users, this list is, as you pointed out, probably the worst source of
that.