[mythtv-users] Moving from MCE to MythTV

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Fri May 5 16:08:55 EDT 2006

On 5/5/06, Ron Rademaker <ron at ttvavanti.nl> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> About hardware, I got a ASUS 9550 (ATI chipset) with 128M so I guess I
> could use the fglrx driver for best performance. Does MythTV mind what
> drivers are used (at all)?

Very much so. You may have no trouble with fglrx, then again you
might. The general consensus for Mythtv favors Nvidia cards with the
binary nvidia kmdl and driver.

> Furthermore, I got my tv attached at the
> tvout (s-video) and a CRT monitor at the VGA output. Will this be a
> problem?

Probably not, depending on what you want. It's not a problem, for
example, to run a separate X session for each display and keep Mythtv
on the TV display and a desktop on your monitor.

> I got two Hauppauge PVR150 cards for tuning, is this card well
> supported? Are drivers in the 2.6-kernels?

Very well supported. The ivtv driver isn't in the kernel but the
module works very well.

> I also have a bunch of movies recorded with MCE that I'll want be able
> to view with MythTV, do I need to convert somehow or will MythTV play
> stuff recorded with MCE?

You should be able to play these through MythVideo using the default
mplayer setting.