[mythtv-users] Moving from MCE to MythTV

Ron Rademaker ron at ttvavanti.nl
Fri May 5 15:44:03 EDT 2006

Hello,

I'm considering moving my current windows media center to mythtv (using
Debian). Just want to check some things with you (to see if everything
is possible, tips are also welcome). I'm quite experienced setting up
and configuring lots of stuff on Linux, but I never used a tv card
before, so any tips there are welcome.

About hardware, I got a ASUS 9550 (ATI chipset) with 128M so I guess I
could use the fglrx driver for best performance. Does MythTV mind what
drivers are used (at all)? Furthermore, I got my tv attached at the
tvout (s-video) and a CRT monitor at the VGA output. Will this be a
problem? (eg. MythTV keeps appearing on the wrong display, MythTV only
showing video on the wrong display (had that with Mediaportal)).
I got two Hauppauge PVR150 cards for tuning, is this card well
supported? Are drivers in the 2.6-kernels?

I also have a bunch of movies recorded with MCE that I'll want be able
to view with MythTV, do I need to convert somehow or will MythTV play
stuff recorded with MCE?

Thanks,
Ron