[mythtv-users] OT - MX4000 to FX5200

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu May 4 12:45:21 EDT 2006

On May 4, 2006, at 10:07 AM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>> Brad Fuller wrote:

>>> The only difference between composite and S-Video is that
>>> luminance and
>>> chroma are separated on S-Video.
>>> Unless the driver can tell the video board to combine Y and C and
>>> send
>>> it out on a single pin (and indicate what pin it's sending the
>>> combined
>>> signal on) then signifying "SVIDEO" or "COMPOSITE" in xorg.conf
>>> works
>>> equally. I doubt that there is any difference between using
>>> "SVIDEO" or
>>> "COMPOSITE" on a board that has only SVIDEO out.
>>>
>>> Do you have a different explanation?
>>>

>> I don't have an explanation other than that it works.  I have more
>> than
>> one nvidia board with only S-VIDEO out where if I do not set the
>> tv-out
>> format to COMPOSITE, I get a B&W signal when using an s-video to
>> composite cable connected to it.
>>
> I just tested it and it doesn't matter. And, obviously, with the
> MX4000
> it worked fine.
>
> But, if I switch out the cable, I get color.
> So, the cable is the B&W problem.
>
> However, I still can't get xorg to recognize there is a TV at the
> end of
> the long cable (no matter if it's set to SVIDEO or COMPOSITE).
> If I replace the long cable with a shorter one, xorg recognizes
> there is
> a TV out there (actually, it's probably the nvidia driver doing the
> telling) and I get the second screen. With the longer cable, no go.

I don't know how it is detecting a monitor but if it some sort of DC
continuity test then there would be some DC resistance value that it
would decide was not a monitor, so it makes sense there would be
length limit, although I would have expected it to be hundreds of
feet, as sending composite video that far is not uncommon.

Perhaps using better quality cable, RG-6 is designed for RF usage.
You might do better with Belden 88281 or something like that which is
designed for baseband video.

> AFAIU, specifying ConnectedMontior "TV" suppose to force video out the
> SVIDEO port. I don't know why this doesn't work.

I don't know either but that switch to force things never worked for
me either with a couple of different cards.