[mythtv-users] OT - MX4000 to FX5200

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu May 4 10:46:52 EDT 2006

Brad Fuller wrote:
> I'm going to swap out the cable. The first thing I thought of when the
> B&W popped up was that since the MX4000 works and the FX5200 doesn't,
> maybe the S-Video out voltage level is flaky and maybe at the edge.
> Since I'm running a long cable (10ft of S-Video going to a
> S-Video<->Composite converter and about 20ft of RG6) that maybe it's
> just not making it somehow. I realize that this is no where near the
> length limit, but what the heck.

If you're plugging the S-VIDEO output into a Composite input you need to
change the TV-OUT format line in your xorg.conf from "S-VIDEO" to
"COMPOSITE".  That controls the color signalling that the card sends,
not the type of connector that it uses.  Having this set wrong will
result in B&W picture.

Kevin