[mythtv-users] OT - MX4000 to FX5200

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu May 4 04:20:49 EDT 2006

On 04/05/06, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Brad Fuller wrote:
> > hmmm... I messed with some BIOS settings but no luck. I placed the BIOS
> > settings back and nothing.
> > After a while of booting, S-Video started to work, but now it's only B&W
> > once it boots into X (actually, right at the big NVIDIA logo). I
> > rebooted and went to the BIOS settings just to make sure they were back
> > and I think they are all back as they were. And, the BIOS setting is in
> > color and the S-Video/TV showed color.
> > So, I reboot but still the NVIDIA color logo is in B&W.
> >
> > Why it started working and why it's B&W I have no idea.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> Sheesss.. what a confusing message. Here it is in a nutshell.
>
> * For some reason S-Video started working
> * It appears that it only works in color in the standard 25x40 ASCII
> version. It is B&W in Xwindows. More precisely, looks like color goes
> away when the first NVidia Logo appears on the S-Video display.

It's possible that you've damaged your S-Video cable (Have a look for
bent pins).  That could explain the intermittent operation and the
colour/B&W thing.  I don't understand why some modes are in colour
though - maybe the output defaults to composite until the nvidia
driver loads?  Otherwise you have to start wondering if you've got a
bad card.