[mythtv-users] New video card crashes PVR-350 card

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed May 3 20:08:39 EDT 2006

Eggert Thorlacius writes:

> Hello all
>
> I have been using a PVR-350 card in my machine for a while and have
> been using the built-in TV out without problems. Last week, I bought a
> TV with a DVI connector and a GeForce 6200 card to drive it.
> The problem is that when I try to display graphics on the TV, the
> PVR-350 card goes berserk, either freezing the machine completely or
> creating garbled mpeg files.  Starting the machine at runlevel 3 works
> fine, mythbackend records correctly and remote frontends display video
> OK, but as soon as I start an X session, mythbackend dies.  Running
> "cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/tmp.mpg" has the same effect; the file is
> saved normally until X starts, and then the process just hangs and
> can't be killed.
> Presumably this is some hardware conflict, but I have no idea where to
> start looking.  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

You must be using Nvidia's closed source binary blob driver.  Try
uninstalling or disabling Nvidia's driver -- reboot and make sure that
neither the kernel binary blob, nor any of the userland nvidia X libraries
get loaded either, then try to repeat the same experiments with /dev/video0
and ivtv.

If ivtv/myth works when Nvidia's closed source binary code is never loaded,
then the incompatibility must be somewhere within Nvidia's binary driver.
Unfortunately, nothing can be done, in that case.  Talk to Nvidia.