[mythtv-users] SA3250HD and Firewire

matt mead m-mythtv at goof.com
Wed May 3 19:27:14 EDT 2006

Allan Wilson wrote:
> Okay finally got in touch with cable company and found out some
> interesting information. My SA3250HD does have working firewire ports
> when I hook it up to the firewire connections on my Sony KDS-R60XBR1
> television. I did go in to the diagnostics mode on my cable box and when
> no firewire cables are connected it shows the firewire port is disabled
> and on the 1394 page shos a bunch of unavailables. Then if I connect my
> Sony to a firewire port the status of the port stays on unavailable but
> on the 1394 page I still have a bunch of unavailables but now I have a
> new line at the bottom:
>
> Name Model                      Dev Auth EID
> Sony KDS-R60XBR1          Unavailable 08004604 0502A845
>
> And I get a beutiful picture with sound through my firewire port on the
> TV. If I then hookup the cpu two my second firewire port nothing on the
> computer and now the above line disappears from my cable box and I don't
> get anything on the TV also. If I have only the computer hooked up then
> my 1394 page in the cable box diagnostics changes from disabled to
> unavailable and I don't have anything listed under the name model dev
> auth eid information line. Also another interesting fact is that on my
> cable box through Comcast in my area I can only receive HD channels over
> my firewire connection. I may have to take this to the 1394.org
> <http://1394.org> guys or to the Myth Developers list but thought I
> would try here first to see if anyone smarter than me had any ideas.
> Thanks for all the help so far and maybe one day I will be able to get
> this to work. By the way if anyone is curious I think the picture
> through firewire is better than through DVI and I don't get the blocks
> that I sometimes get through DVI. Thanks for any help

If you have the info on how to get into diagnostic display I can report what my
SA3250HD shows when I have myth hooked to it playing LiveTV from one of the
channels.

Did you ever verify that the firewire modules necessary are all in place?
There is a listing of them at:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/FireWire

I find it more convenient to use modules than building the code into the
kernel, primarily because through the use of the hotplug blacklist and listing
the modules in order in /etc/modules, I can control the order in which eth? is
mapped to my ethernet devices (one of which is eth1394).

Unless there's an obvious issue with modules, I would probably start a thread
on the linux1394-user list.

-matt

--
matt mead