[mythtv-users] OT: Upgrade to Mysql 5.0

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed May 3 23:19:16 UTC 2006

David Rees wrote:
> On 5/1/06, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:

> In this case, it's not MySQL that is going to break, it's all the
> other packages that were depending on his old version of MySQL. This
> type of thing by one or more of the following:
>
> 1. Uninstall RPMs which depend on the old packages. This is a good
> idea if you know you aren't using RPMs which depend on the package you
> are upgrading.
> 2. Install compatibility packages. MySQL has shared compatibility
> packages just for this reason.
> 3. Stay with the old version of software. Unless you have a specific
> reason to upgrade, it's easier to just stick with the current version.
> Why upgrade when the old one works just fine?

Because the 'old' version runs on the desktop at work on FC4, and the
mythbox runs mysql 5.0.18 on FC5 at home... and mythtv complains when I
transfer a copy of the mythconverg database to work, so I can run
mythfilldatabase. Not only must the running mythbackends be the same
version, but they require the same general version of mysql...(That's
weird but true!...Although it may only be a schema difference, it
manifests itself as a 'I don't like this version of mysql'...)

So... the real end result is that the desktop will be upgraded to FC5
sometime later this week... and then I'll have to install mysql again!

G.