[mythtv-users] Legality of selling MythTV and its Components?

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Wed May 3 20:21:56 UTC 2006

Andrew Cope wrote:
> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>
> I think you'll do well selling the following:
>
> - a disk-less and fan-less frontend that will look good under the TV.
> Connect to a backend for booting, or boot from flash.
> With a DVD/CD slot for playing movies/music (optional).

That's exactly what I'm doing. It should be available within the month
sometime.
I don't know if it would be appropriate to announce availability on this
list, but
if Isaac approves then I certainly will.

I'd like to ship flash and PXE boot versions, and I'd *like* to ship
software, but I won't
at least until I can get a lawyer's opinion. Unfortunately I don't know
any lawyers.

I'll probably only ship to US customers as I have no experience with
international commerce.

> - a big beastie backend with 2 or 3 (or more!) tuner cards, LVM/RAID
> disk storage.

I'm not currently interested in this market. I know of at least one
other fellow who's doing it
now, but I'd prefer to stay out of it at least initially.

> Front-ends are difficult as the hardware is specialized, so that should
> be enough of a niche to make a business model.

That's what I'm hoping for.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin