[mythtv-users] UK Tuning problems (PVR250 & WinTV go)

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed May 3 10:02:43 UTC 2006

I'm afraid my information may be very out of date since I converted to
dvb on myth 0.17.  I was using a PVR 350, on the UK Crystal Palace
transmitter.

> I am having problems obtaining a signal other than static on both of
> my cards (PVR250 & WinTVgo (with conexant bttv replacement) .

If you're having problems - I'd concentrate on one card at a time ie
take the other one out.  You need to be sure that the drivers are
correctly installed.  I'd guess that both cards are well supported by
mythdora (I'm sure the PVR 250 is) but you might find there a problems
with have having both cards in - I remember reading that the ivtv
drivers for the PVR could be a bit picky.

> I am using mythdora, but am having trouble finding a definitive guide
> to UK tuning for analogue. I've tried grabbing channels from the bbc
> transmitter website (i.e. 51), converting those in to frequencies
> (714 etc), but have had no joy.

I don't think you need to any frequency conversion.  The frequencies
that need to be entered for each channel are actually the channel
numbers.  The same as show up on the channel scan that the Hauppauge
windows software does and are published on the transmitter website(
mostly around the 20's if I remember right and definitely less than
99).  I set mine up by installing under windows first, doing a channel
scan and noting the channel numbers, then manually creating each
channel and entering the channel number in the frequency field under
mythtvsetup. You might want to check that your broadcast type is set
correctly, also in mythtvsetup (Europe West I think I used?)

> Myth's 'full scan' just ends up with a blank screen after the %age
> progress bar.

As I remember the myth channel scan was only for dvb channels not
analog.  That may have been changed now.

> I'm living in a newly constructed flat block, with freeview on the
> main tv. I've been told that the building has a 'digital aerial'
> which means that the analogue signal isn't being picked up. Is this
> true/possible?

Doesn't sound right to me - I thought the dvb digital signal was on an
analog carrier in the same frequency ranges as the analog one.  Unless
of course it's actually cable-tv that you've got, in which case none
of what I've said above applies.  That should be fairly obvious though
(different connector and STB required).  Try plugging in an analog TV
directly.