[mythtv-users] TFW: safe_write(): funky usleep

Cymen Vig cymenvig at gmail.com
Wed May 3 05:03:22 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, andrew matthews <exstatica at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/1/06, Ray Lischner <linux at tempest-sw.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 01 May 2006 02:24 pm, andrew matthews wrote:
> >
> > > After looking through source i determined that the funky usleep error
> > > has to do with no disk space, but if the file size limit is reached
<snip>
> > Interesting. I thought SMB would be able to handle large files, and
> > apparently it works for some people. I wonder what went wrong with my
> > system.
>
> Well for sharing video and music i use nfs, but for copying stuff from
> windows to the server i use samba. I'm not sure how smb handles large
> files but i'm asuming because recordings are 2+ gigs that samba would
> have a problem with them.

Current versions of Samba on the file-serving side has no issues with
2 GB+ files. The SMB_FS driver/client in the Linux kernel has a 2 GB
limit. The CIFS driver/client in the Kernel does not have this limit.
I ran into this a couple weeks ago and was really surprized this isn't
spelled out clearly in more than a few places.

So in summary, use CIFS on the Linux clients instead of SMB_FS and you
should be fine (plus it is a bit faster too in my experience).