[mythtv-users] Video Display card recommendation

Justin Hunt beyonddeath at gmail.com
Tue May 2 22:46:40 UTC 2006

> On May 2, 2006, at 4:16 PM, Joel Turner wrote:
>

> > Check the mythtv wiki.  There are instructions for running XV on the
> > PVR-350.  I do this for my SD based setup (8 yr old Toshiba) and the
> > output is great.  There are disadvantages to this approach which are
> > detailed elsewhere in the archives. If you have any intentions of
> > replacing your set soon with a plasma or LCD I would not bother
> > with the
> > PVR-350 but would look at an nVidia 6200.  It's PCI based, some models
> > are fanless and have composite out.
>
> Why a 6200 ? A 5200 is cheaper and will do what needs to be done.
>
> The extra cost of a 350 over a 150 is more than the cost of a 5200,
> so what would be the advantage of a 350 except possibly to save a PCI
> slot ?

Ive read that the pvr350 has better quality tv out than the nvidia series
cards.  I cant vouch for this myself as I have a gf ti4600 that i run dvi
out to my hdtv.  The only problem is getting the 350 to work, which i gather
is easier now days, but many people seem to still have problems.

Overall, it depends on your paticular situation, perhaps saving the pci slot
is valuable to you and maybe it isnt.

--
Justin Hunt
beyonddeath at gmail.com