[mythtv-users] Legality of selling MythTV and its Components?

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Tue May 2 22:36:42 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/2/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On May 2, 2006, at 2:30 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > >
> > > Am I free to not pay the government "tax" money that it has no legal
> > > right to take from me? no, but the answer to all these is easy, they
> > > have the guns and if they want you to do something they are willing to
> > > use them against you.
> > >

> > I don't know where you get "no legal right", by every definition I
> > know taxes *are* "legal".
>
> The IRS has no mandate under federal law to collect taxes. But try and
> tell them that and they'll send the guns. They've never bothered with
> lawyers on this fact because they know they will loose, but they have
> sent armed "officers" to the doors of those that try to argue with
> them.
>
> The ability for taxation by the federal government stem from
> American's becoming citizens of the u.S. government and just the state
> from which they belong as was originally chartered. All persons born
> within the georgaphic bounds of the u.S.A. since the 14th amendment
> (the death of states rights) are by default citizens of the u.S.A.(and
> the state of which they were born in, the only legal dual citizenship
> allowed with citizenship of the u.S.A.), those born before the 14th
> amendment have no legal requirement to pay taxes (or do anything
> required of a citizen of the u.S.A. only of the state for which they
> were a citizen.), but since they're all dead....
>
> Ever wonder why Costa Rican's don't have to pay federal taxes? It's
> because they are not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" as Costa
> Rica is not a united state.
>

> > But in the end you are right, it just comes down to who is stronger
> > or has the biggest guns, as it always has since Ugh-Ugh picked up a
> > rock.
>
> and thus American's claim of freedom is complete and utter b.s.
>
> --
> Steve
> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions
> then search the Wiki, and this list,
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

So I messed up with the free statement. But the agree more with Disconnect.
I don't think any company is going to make millions off of Myth but if a few
small industries guys wanna try something then more power to them and I
think there is a market. The customers will still have to do a few things
like zap2it and install libdecss but they can choose not to and have a
non-functional box. Those two features are 2 of the easier things to do with
Myth anyhow. I agree that for right now there is no way in the near future
my grandmother is going to use Myth but if I would love to be able to point
a friend to someone that will give them a mythbox and provide support for it
to get some of the cooler features that I love and enjoy. By the way how
much longer are we going to be sucking off the teat of the current
entertainment industry any way when you have some decent stuff getting
produced now such as dl.tv and video podcasts. This is where the market is
going just like it did with podcasts to begin with. At first it's all tech
stuff then the rest of the world comes around and you have choices. We are
just stuck at a funny juncture at this point. Even if they lock everything
down someone will come up with content that those rebels will want to watch.
But that's just my opionon. In all honesty we are in the lucky crowd to be
able to understand how to make Myth work and get to enjoy it. By the way
what about plutohome aren't they using Myth as a main component of their
system. I don't know if they really have a business model?

Allan