[mythtv-users] Legality of selling MythTV and its Components?

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Tue May 2 19:35:40 UTC 2006

> On May 2, 2006, at 12:35 PM, Disconnect wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 02 May 2006, Steven Adeff did have cause to say:
> >
> >> From my understanding, the GPL lets you sell products with the
> >> software installed but not charge for the software itself. You are
> >> also allowed to charge for support for the software.
> >
> > I'd recommend talking to a lawyer if you are unsure, but ISTR that
> > you can
> > do "most anything" (including selling) gpl software, so long as you
> > don't
> > then restrict the buyer's rights as far as distribution or
> > availability of
> > source. (Lets not get wiggy about "anything", its in quotes for a
> > reason.)
> >
> > So you could, in theory, take gpl software and offer it for sale
> > for huge
> > amounts of money. (You could even do this after adding all the
> > features
> > everyone wants and making it the best app ever written).  The only
> > problem
> > is you are unlikely to get more than one buyer, as they will then
> > give it
> > away to everyone else.  (And I'm not sure, but it is probably legit
> > to only
> > allow redistribution of sources, not binaries, so long as those
> > bins are
> > generated from the provided sources.. but now its just getting weird.)
> >
> > (And fyi, no, you don't have to release your changes or
> > enhancements or
> > source or anything...until you distribute the binaries. And that
> > loophole
> > has been used against webapps rather successfully in the past.)
>

> OK, my $0.02.
>
> Even if we restrict the discussion to the U.S., I think the largest
> problem is the schedule information.
>
> Even if the good folks who are supplying info to Myth users now
> (bless their hearts) were to sanction your product and agree to
> provide free information to its purchasers (which is nowhere near a
> certainty), most business experts would tell you that staking your
> enterprise on a "single source" supplier of something absolutely
> critical to your product's proper functioning is very bad business
> practice.
>
> There are products on the market that get their program schedule data
> from the same source, but they have long-term contracts with Tribune
> Media (Eye TV, for example, gets data through a deal with Titan, who
> has a deal with Tribune through 2008, risky IMHO unless they have a
> second supplier to fall back on). I'm sure those contracts were not
> given gratis.
>
> Still, you would want at least a second source in my opinion, unless
> you want the villagers chasing you with lighted torches, and at this
> point you don't even have a first source.
>
> Trusting the purchasers to "make their own deal" with a data supplier
> could potentially screw up the works for all Myth users, causing you
> [...]

This is just my two cents but I know a lot of people with a lot of money
that are missing out on some of the great features that Myth has because
they are not savvy computer users. I think if you made them aware of the
potential pitfalls and what things they would have to do to make the system
work as expected and they understood those risks then you would be
performing a great service. It is a free country, at least in the states,
and they can choose not to pay for the system if the benefits don't outweigh
the risks.

Allan