[mythtv-users] [OT] FX5200 dual head: desktop extended but still cloned

Ed Neff backhoes at gmail.com
Tue May 2 19:18:35 UTC 2006

On 4/28/06, Niels Dybdahl <Niels at dybdahl.dk> wrote:

> I have had success with the xorg.conf that you can find on http://niels.
> dybdahl.dk/public/xorg.conf.twinview with a nVidia GeForce4 MX440.
> It creates two desktops, so that MythTV can be maximized on one of them,
> while you can work on the other. My xorg.conf is designed for a TV and a
> monitor, so you probably have to adapt it a little.
> Note that I have experienced severe problems when running Gnome but not
> with KDE: If MythTV is showing a recording on the TV, then Gnome will hang
> after you have started two applications. Gnome will also show a window for
> the "authentication indicator". With KDE there are no issues.
>
> The idea of using the xorg.conf at http://niels.dybdahl
.dk/public/xorg.conf.twinview
to be able to run MythTV on one screen and work on another screen
is very appealing - so I tried it.  I'm using kernel 2.6.16.5 and Nvidia
driver 8756, so I had to change "ConnectedMonitor" to "UseDisplayDevice".

It really works.  Two screens come up, one on the TV (:2.1), and one on
the monitor (:2.0).  Using the keyboard, I can enter the command
"mythfrontend -display :2.1", and the frontend comes up on the TV screen.
But, choosing Watch TV or playback of a recorded program results in only
audio - no video.
The screen goes blank during playback, and the menus come back when playback
exits.

Have you experienced anything like this?  Or maybe suggest what to look for
in the logs?  I use both -verbose 5 and -logverbose 5 when starting the X
server, so there's lots of log data.  I don't see anything that looks like
an error in the logs so far.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

--
Ed Neff