[mythtv-users] Storage Questions. LVM, RAID, NFS

drescher0110-lists at yahoo.com drescher0110-lists at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 18:24:51 UTC 2006

> I'd have a 4 disk RAID5 array as well though, so it would be writing
> across 4 drives (plus the parity information), whereas with RAID10 it
> would be writing across two drives. This is where I don't quite
> understand how RAID10 is supposed to be faster than RAID5?
>
> --
Both will write to all 4 disks. In a 4 drive setup RAID 10 1/2 of the space for raid
while raid5 uses 1/4. As for performance RAID5 is supposed to be slower in writes
but may or may not be slower in reads. It depends on if you are reading small or big
files with multiple small files being faster on raid 10 which has better seek times
because for reads there are essentially 2 arrays of the same data...

John