[mythtv-users] HD3000, Sarge, AMD64 SMP, 0.19 from deb, Could not get card info for card #0! Subtype: Success!

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 15:26:53 UTC 2006

--- David Cain <sblkMythUser at jimmiedave.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to get a dual HD3000 backend-only
> system working since
> March, and finally gotta buy a vowel. I've built
> MythTV systems twice
> before (PVR-350, Ubuntu Hoary, Sarge) but this is
> the first time with
> HD3000 cards, and first time with a backend-only
> machine.
>
> I'm using Sarge - the AMD64 unofficial distro, with
> an SMP setup,
> kernel 2.6.15 from backports. I'm using the 0.19
> debs from Christian
> Marillat's repository, have mastered getting
> mythtv-setup to connect to
> X remotely (that is, I don't have X installed on the
> backend) and am
> tantilizingly close to getting some TV recorded.
> MythTV works - except
> for tuning.
>
> I have the pcHDTV tuner cards set up as DVB-T
> devices. However, the
> capture card setup page in mythtv-setup says:
>
> "Could not get card info for card #0! Subtype:
>  Success"
>
> I get the same info for card #1. However, when I
> switch to a DVB Card
> Number that I know doesn't exist, I get:
>
> "Could not open card #3! Subtype         No such
> file or directory"
>
> So I know that MythTV sees SOMETHING there, but is
> having trouble
> talking to it.
>
> The only messages I see on the list archive are from
> people using
> versions 0.17 and 0.18 (and maybe older). Didn't see
> anything recent
> (or particularly useful) about this.
>
> I previously tried using the pcHDTV card type (which
> I now hear are
> mainly for the HD2000 card - gee, somebody should
> label it as such!),
> and while the pcHDTV card type would scan channels
> and get lock onto a
> number of OTA digital channels near me (Atlanta, GA,
> USA) it would only
> record completely black 1080i mpegs.
>
> I know the first responses will be "give me more
> info". Happy to do so.
> I haven't found anything in backend logs that I
> thought was revealing,
> but please, ask away.
>
> Any help is appreciated!
>
> DC

Does the user that you're running mythtv-setup as have
read/write permissions to the DVB cards?

I now run a dedicated backend system, and I configured
it the same way (using X11 forwarding to my frontend).
 Since mythbackend runs as root on my backend, I just
ran mythtv-setup as root also, that way I didn't have
to play around with device permissions (which Fedora
Core happily clobbers when you don't login through the
terminal/X).

-- Joe